Sunday, October 16, 2011

Michael Davidson Testimony

My dear friend Ashley has been trying to get me to come to church with her for the last year, every since I moved from Lexington. Even before that, for years, my cousin Johnny (whose a preacher) would always say "you should come to church with me" and I'm not gonna lie, it was kind of annoying to constantly be asked to do something that I didn't want to do. However, regardless of how awkward it was to have to say "no, I don't want to" at least I wouldn't lie. I told them no. The people I invite now are always "well I'll try." "maybe" "I'll see" .. I wish they would just come out and say "no" because its so frustrating.

Its amazing what life is like once you turn it over to God and I want nothing more than for everyone I care about to experience it. A few weeks ago our pastor was preaching about fighting for your family, and then shortly afterward the messages including being a good steward of the good deposit and standing in for your family when they're not there to do it for themselves. Well I've been trying. I've been trying so hard to get my family to show up. I know where I'm going when my time comes and whether they get right with the lord or not I'm going without them. I would love for them to be there, but I can't make that decision for them. They have to feel that conviction. They have to want it. Its horrible because I know with every fiber of my being that if my sister had been there for Brad's message last Wednesday about "It Will Get Better" that's all it would have took for her.

I won't mention anyone in particular, but tonight's message was titled "Break The Chains" and it hit so close to home for me. I've said time and time again my story is much like that of the prodigal son. I've never had a desire to do anything illegal in life. I've just never wanted to. Both my parents were drug dealers and they were murdered as a result of it when I was age 2. I grew up and witnessed close relatives get all these good things handed to them and I'm just like 'you have got to be kidding me! I'm 1,000 times better than these people! Its a miracle from God they haven't overdosed yet' and it strained my relationship with my family. I separated myself from them. Everyday it was "oh, did you hear what ____ said" & I'm just like, whatever they can't even put a sentence together without slurring their words. I went one way and I left them behind. Although our lifestyles were different and they were more likely to end up in jail than I was, I still wasn't any better than them. I was just as lost. I was close, but not close enough. It wasn't until our associate pastor preached "you're close, but not close enough" that I really started to realize it. Its never too late to turn around, it just takes figuring out that you're lost before you can. Instead of constant fighting with them and judging them now its constant prayer for them. I hope they realize just how lost they really are and I hope they realize just how much they really mean to me.

Tonight was one of those nights where I just know from the bottom of my heart had they been there it would have been life changing for them. But they weren't. I went and stood in for them again tonight, but there's only so much we can do for people. I have my church family and they're an amazing group of people, my biggest regret in life is not coming sooner. I'm so jealous of the people there. I was telling Glenda (& if you guys are reading this and don't know who I'm talking about, I'm not gonna tell you, you're just gonna have to be confused! Come meet them for yourself. You'll be glad you did!) tonight that its so frustrating at times and she's like "Trust me! I know, don't give up! I'll pray with you." Its people like that. She doesn't know my family. She doesn't know them from anyone, but she cares. Its people like that we can all learn from. I'm that way now too! Who would've ever thought that me! ME! of all people! would be caring! Its insane! I want everyone in mine and Brandy's families and all of our friends who aren't saved to be that way too! Glenda has her mom, her brother, her daughter, her grandchild..

I look at my pastor, he has both his kids, his son in laws, his grand kids. & the Chastain family. Let me tell you, this is the nicest family in the entire world. These two kids they are such an inspiration and they're like 15 or something! I wish more than anything I would have had friends like those two when I was that age. I hope one day when I have kids they're like that. My friend Ashley her mom, sister, brother, her niece (although meaner 'n a rattlesnake, she's there!) and her granny, God rest her soul, I want that. I want to hear my pastor "We're glad to have all our visitors today! Michael & Brandy's family is here today!"

I've never been someone who could speak in front of large groups (strange I know because I can write like this for the world to read.) I can sit down and talk to you one on one all day every day about anything in the world, but doing it to everyone at once is not something I've ever been good at.

Tonight there was a family that got saved and Joey gave them the microphone and asked them if they wanted to say something. I remember my night like so clearly. August 21st.. I didn't know any of those people at the time (& I'm not gonna lie, even if I did I probably wouldn't have said much more than I did) I just kinda said "well I'm a little shy.." and its the truth, I am. But what I wanted to say was "Thank you God for saving me! Thank you brother Joey and your family and everyone here for welcoming us and making me feel so loved! Thank you for being patient with my doubt while I sat back here on this squeeky pew for the past 4 weeks until I dropped my guard and let God take over! Thank you Brad for not sugar coating the truth and putting the fear of God in me and lighting that fire helping me make that first step! Thank you Candon for being able to sing and keeping me entertained because honestly last week when I started to feel that conviction I wanted to run. I wouldn't have came back on Sunday morning if you weren't so entertaining!

Brother Joey, you just preached earlier about being refilled with the spirit and let me know that yes, people still make mistakes and even though you have accepted Christ as your savior, no one's perfect. This is a big step for me and honestly I'm scared to death and that is reassurance that I'm not expected to be perfect. Try my best, give it 110% and if I start to slip go to the rock. Turn it over to God, refill that spirit! Brad, I'm not just close enough anymore! I'm here!".. but that's not what I said. Out loud anyway. But that family was such an inspiration and I know that my family can be an inspiration to someone else.. and I can't wait for that day to come.

"I gotta get myself together cause I got someplace to go and I'm praying when I get there I see everyone I know..."
Michael Davidson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment