Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Power Tools For The Asking

Proverbs 24
By wisdom a house is built,
    and through understanding it is established;
through knowledge its rooms are filled
    with rare and beautiful treasures.
The wise prevail through great power,
    and those who have knowledge muster their strength.
Surely you need guidance to wage war,
    and victory is won through many advisers. 

These verses speak of building a house, but after some study, I think this could be a metaphor for building a life. Let's think about it for a while today.
Those of us who have had the experience (I started to say good fortune, but while you are in the midst of it, it doesn't seem so great) of building a home, have seen the steps involved in putting it together.  Let's face it --- there are certain steps to follow, and a certain order in which they must be completed.  You don't go and buy lovely lamps and framed artwork, before you lay the foundation and get the structure "in the dry" (walls up, and a roof on it).

Solomon is unrolling a blueprint for us here in these verses: our life should be built with wisdom, on a foundation of understanding.  We learn about wisdom from Solomon -- to seek it, to value it, to use it. Did you also know that wisdom and understanding can be power tools for us?  You see, those that increase in wisdom are "strengthened with all might."

Check out what Paul says in Colossians 1: 9b,11:
9 . . . We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, . . . 11 being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, 
Once He helps us to establish a foundation, then we can fill each chamber with treasures . . . patience, kindness, contentment, joy, and more.
And there are more "power tools" in our toolbox. The last two verses today speak of our strength, our waging war, and our achieving victory. We know there are verses that mention being at war with Satan, and we know that we can have true victory over him: Ephesians 6:11 is a trumpet call to battle --  Put on the full armor of God, that you may be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. 
 
But, you say, I'm tired of the battle. I'm weary. I've tried so hard, and I don't think I'm winning. 
It may be health issues that you struggling with; it may be family or friends relationships that cause you heartache; you may be at war with the devil on any number of issues.
Grab your power tools! I don't mean to trivialize this -- I have struggles too, and my heart aches sometimes, and yes, I cry out to God for help. I even whine sometimes, and then have to ask Him to forgive me.
Here's what I should do, instead --- these power tools are right here for my asking:

“My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.”  II Cor. 12:9


“His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness.” II Pet. 1:3

“And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.” II Cor. 9:8

These are precious promises. I hope they help you, as they have helped me.